Our circular emblem design is based on a bronze openwork disc found in 1893 in a Saxon cemetery in Edridge Road, between Croydon High Street and Park Lane. It is a rare example of a 5th- or 6th-century girdle ornament or amulet and is now in the Museum of Croydon.
The rather grainy photograph was taken when the Society had the opportunity to preview the new Roman and Saxon galleries at the Museum of Croydon. Before the discovery of this cemetery, eminent local historian J. Corbet Anderson had written of Saxon Croydon,
Putting together these various fragments of intelligence, it is difficult to avoid the conclusion that, in the centre of our town, in former ages, was a place of interment … It would seem that, at some very remote period, the gentle eminence along which the main street of Croydon now runs, was dotted over with interments, among which, perhaps, might have been seen early British carneddau [piled stone monuments to honour significant individuals], Roman sepulchral monuments, and Saxon barrows, in ages antecedent to the date when the old churchyard became the acknowledged last resting-place of the Christian inhabitants of this neighbourhood.
[Chronicle of Croydon, 1882: 25]
To read more about the Saxon cemetery and its significance, there is an article on the Archaeology Data Service from the early 1990s which describes the site whilst discussing an Inquiry held into the planning requirements for the development of an office block in the locality.
The significance of the 1890’s finds are well known among Anglo-Saxon specialists, for this site was one of the few burial grounds with origins in the first phase of Saxon settlement in south-east Britain, yet continues to be occupied through much of the 5th century, all of the 6th century and at least as late as the first half of the 7th century. In particular, Late Roman belt equipment of the 4th and 5th centuries and two items of Quoit Brooch Style metalwork point to a possible post-Roman military role for this community when it was first settled some ten miles south of Roman London.
[Welch, M, The Anglo-Saxon Cemetery at 82-90 Park Lane, Croydon, Surrey: excavation or preservation?]